CALL FOR PAPERS
“Caught in the Act: The (Literary) Imagiconography of Paula Rego”
3-4 December 2015
Venue: Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, New University of Lisbon, Portugal
On the occasion of Paula Rego’s 80th birthday, the Department of Languages, Cultures and Cultures, the Centre for English, Translation and Anglo-Portuguese Studies (CETAPS), of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, New University of Lisbon, the Casa das Histórias Paula Rego, and the Foundation D. Luís I organise the international conference in homage tothe Anglo-Portuguese artist.
Working languages: Portuguese, English, Spanish. No translation will be provided.
We will privilege comparative and transdisciplinary approaches.
Potential contributors are invited to submit a bionote and a 300 word abstract on themes related to any of the following conference tracks:
– The work/imagery of Paula Rego;
– The Work of Victor Willing
– Contemporary Anglo-Portuguese Artistic Relations (20th-21st centuries);
– British Art (late 20th century and 21st century);
– Portuguese Art (late 20th century and 21st century);
– Interarts Dialogue (Literature & Painting);
– History in Paula Rego’s Work;
– Literary Characters and Settings in Paintings;
– Ekphrastic poetry and fiction based on Paula Rego’s Work;
– Paula Rego’s Work and its intertextual dialogues with the work of other artists;
– Studying Rego’s Work;
– Exhibiting Rego’s Work (“Casa das Historias”);
– Studio Practice;
– Irony, Abjection and the Macabre;
– Cultural Collective Memory, National Traditions
– Female imagery in Rego’s work;
– Religion in Rego’s work;
– Politics in Rego’s work;
– Paula Rego’s work in the classroom and interculturality;
– Childhood and Growing up in Rego’s Work;
– Zoological Imaginary;
– Gender and/in art;
– Human and natural landscapes in Rego’s work;
– Sarcasm, irony and social commentary in the visual arts;
– Representing the (post)colonial.
Papers and panels on the above themes are invited. However, papers/panels on other subjects related to the above topics will also be considered. Participants will be held to a twenty minute presentation limit. Please submit an abstract and a bio note, by 15 August 2015, to:
Rogerio Miguel Puga: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
The conference is being jointly organised by CETAPS and the D. Luis Foundation, which manages the Paula Rego museum (Casa das Histórias) in Lisbon.
For more information see the Conference website