ARTES is delighted to announce that thanks to the generosity of CEEH (Centro de Estudios Europa Hispánica), we are now able to award a £3000 scholarship for PhD students or post-doctoral scholars in Spain who wish to conduct research in the UK, and who are working on any aspect of Spanish or Hispanic visual culture before 1900. Doctoral students or those who received their doctorate less than four years before the application deadline may apply for this scholarship provided that they were or are registered for doctoral study at a university in Spain. The deadline for applications is 31st January each year. Scholarship winners will be informed by 15th March, and are invited to attend a ceremony at the ARTES AGM in June. Please read the guidelines below.
Scholarship application guidelines.
- Applications should be made in English as a single MS Word or PDF file and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. References may, however, be sent in Spanish. Applicants are requested to include ‘Travel to UK Scholarship’ in the email subject. They should not expect acknowledgement of receipt.
- All applications should include: a) a project title, b) a max 100-word project summary, c) a max 600-word description of the research to be conducted (including explanation of the necessity of travel); d) a short breakdown of how the money will be spent, together with details of any other funding received; e) an academic CV. Applicants should ensure that an academic advisor sends a reference to the same email address by the 31st January deadline. Applications without a reference will not be considered.
- Candidates may apply for our other scholarships and awards offered by ARTES, but are unlikely to be successful in more than one category in any one year.
- Application is open to any student or scholar who can demonstrate compliance with the criteria set out above, other than employees of CEEH, committee members of ARTES, or their immediate families. Scholarships are not awarded to students who have not yet begun their programme of study, are valid for one year only, and are not renewable.
- Applications will be assessed according to the following criteria: Originality of research, significance of research, feasibility of successful completion, academic rigour (command of the field, spelling, fluency etc), potential of the applicant (an assessment of the strength of the CV, taking into account the student’s current status), financial need, value for money, strength of reference, necessity of travel.
- Successful scholarship winners will be informed by 15th March, and are invited to attend a presentation ceremony at the ARTES AGM in the Summer. They are required to write a 600-word report on their funded research project, to be sent to email@example.com within nine months of receipt of the scholarship.
- Any publications arising from research supported by these scholarships should include acknowledgement of ARTES and CEEH.
- The scholarships come with no institutional affiliation, and ARTES and CEEH cannot take responsibility for the support or welfare of scholarship holders.
- The decision of the Scholarship Committee shall be final. The Committee reserves the right to make no awards in cases where it deems that applications are not of satisfactory quality. CEEH and Artes accept no legal responsibility to any applicant or third party arising from this notice, or the award or otherwise of a scholarship. The Scholarship Committee will not enter into correspondence with unsuccessful applicants or their academic advisors regarding its decisions.