The first home designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí has recently opened to the public. Built between 1883 and 1885 as a summer house for the Vicens family, it is a masterpiece of riotous colour in an eclectic neo-moorish style. After over a century of transformations at the hands of various different owners, the World Heritage Site has been returned to its original disposition, while an addition constructed in 1925 has been transformed into a museum. Located in the Gràcia district and surrounded by a verdant garden, the house is open everyday, from 10 am to 8 pm.
Intended to celebrate the Museum’s 150th anniversary, this display focuses on the most important Roman monument in the city, whose architectural and sculptural fragments have formed part of the Museum’s collections since its early history. The exhibition also includes archival documents, sketches, plans and notes made by the mid-nineteenth century excavators of the Roman temple.