Thanks to the generous support of CEEH (Centro de Estudios Europa Hispánica), ARTES awards a number of travel scholarships to final year undergraduates and postgraduate students registered for a full or part-time degree course at a UK university who are working on any aspect of Spanish visual culture before 1900. The deadline for all applications is 31st January and the Scholarship Committee usually informs successful applicants by 15th March. Winners are invited to attend a special awards ceremony at the ARTES AGM in the summer. Students may apply for up to £1000 towards the costs of travel to Spain for research purposes (which may include field work, attendance at a conference, or other recognised forms of research). Please read the guidelines below.
Scholarship application guidelines.
- Applications should be made in English as a single MS Word or PDF file and sent to email@example.com. Applicants are requested to include ‘Travel Scholarship’ in the email subject, but should not expect acknowledgement of receipt.
- All applications should include: a) project title, b) a max 100-word project summary, c) a max 600-word explanation of the research to be conducted (including explanation of the necessity of travel); d) a short breakdown of how the money will be spent, together with details of any other funding received; e) an academic CV. Applicants should ensure that an academic advisor sends a reference to the same email address by the 31st January deadline: this may be in English or Spanish. Applications without a reference will not be considered.
- Candidates may apply for any other scholarship or award offered by ARTES, but are unlikely to be successful in more than one category in any one year.
- Application is open to any student or scholar who can demonstrate compliance with the criteria set out above, other than employees of CEEH, committee members of ARTES, or their immediate families. Scholarships are not awarded to students who have not yet begun their programme of study, are valid for one year only, and are not renewable. Applications may be submitted for travel conducted in the 12 months prior to the submission deadline, though funding for such trips is likely to be considered less urgent than for forthcoming trips that would not be possible without funding.
- Applications will be assessed according to the following criteria: Originality of research, significance of research, feasibility of successful completion, academic rigour (command of the field, spelling, fluency etc), potential of the applicant (an assessment of the strength of the CV, taking into account the student’s current status), financial need, value for money, strength of reference, necessity of travel.
- Successful scholarship winners are normally informed by 15th March, and are invited to attend a presentation at the ARTES AGM in the Summer. They are required to write a 600-word report on their funded research project, to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org within nine months of receipt of the scholarship
- Any publications arising from research supported by these scholarships should include acknowledgement of ARTES and CEEH.
- The scholarships come with no institutional affiliation, and ARTES and CEEH cannot take responsibility for the support or welfare of scholarship holders.
- The decision of the Scholarship Committee shall be final. The Committee reserves the right to make no awards in cases where it deems that applications are not of satisfactory quality. CEEH and ARTES accept no legal responsibility to any applicant or third party arising from this notice, or the award or otherwise of a scholarship. The Scholarship Committee will not enter into correspondence with unsuccessful applicants or their academic advisors regarding its decisions.